Online training modules are available to councillors and employees of councils on LG Central, your Local Government Knowledge Centre.
These training modules provide information about accountability, decision-making and other responsibilities to help ensure councillors and local government staff can deliver on the needs of our communities.
Councillor or CEO
All Councillors and CEOs will have a user licence and can visit lgcentral.statedevelopment.qld.gov.au to set up their account.
Other type of council employee
If you’re a council employee who needs access, please:
- contact your CEO to authorise your request
- email the authorisation to email@example.com or phone 07 3452 7148.
For general assistance with accessing LG Central email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 07 3452 7148.
Training modules available
Modules now available include:
- Councillor induction training
- Councillor participation
- Working during a pandemic
- Registers of Interests
- Good decision-making
- Acceptable request guidelines
- Office of the Information Commissioner
- Council meetings
- Leading debate as a Chairperson
- Unsuitable meeting conduct
- Model meeting procedures
- Best practice standing orders
- Managing conflicts of interests in meetings
- Majority rules
- Indigenous council meetings guide
Financial management training program
We engaged the QTC Education Program, in collaboration with the UQ Business School, to deliver a series of free and tailored financial management workshops for elected local government members. The program covers financial governance and management concepts and aims to lift performance, instil strategic thinking and raise awareness of financial management responsibilities in council.
The program covers financial governance and management concepts and aims to lift performance, instil strategic thinking and raise awareness of financial management responsibilities in council.
Training is also available for Council Officers in the areas of business cases, project management, service levels, understanding financial statements, and ratio and comparative analysis.
Training for Candidates for Local Government
Changes to the Local Government Electoral Act 2011 in 2019 introduced that candidates must complete mandatory So you want to be a councillor? election training no more than six months before nominating for any election or by-election, even if you have completed the training before.
If you can’t do the training online you can email us or phone 07 3254 7148 to find out about other options.
Records management webinar
The Queensland State Archives (QSA) and Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) have released Council Records: Guideline for Mayors, Councillors, CEOs and Council Employees.
Watch the webinar to find out more about:
- Why good record keeping is important?
- What is a public record?
- What are the requirements for managing records?
To watch the webinar On Demand click here and follow the instructions below:
- On the registration page, enter your name and email address.
- Click the play icon to view the video On Demand (The video can’t be downloaded. However, there is no limit on the number of times it is viewed.)
- You can click on the information symbol (i) in bottom right corner to download the presentation slides for your reference.
Last updated: 26 Oct 2022