Hydrogen industry development
Hydrogen is a clean, renewable fuel that can be used in transport, power supply and a range of industrial processes. It’s already key for a range of industries that provide vital inputs into a range of manufacturing processes and our mining and agricultural sectors.
Hydrogen can be produced from a variety of sources including renewables such as solar, wind and biomass.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy
We’re supporting the development of a sustainable hydrogen industry in Queensland. To help do this, we’ve released the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024 ( 3.4 MB).
The strategy focuses on:
- supporting innovation
- facilitating private sector investment
- ensuring an effective policy framework
- building community awareness and confidence
- facilitating skills development for new technology.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Development Fund
As part of the strategy, we established the Hydrogen Industry Development Fund (HIDF) to drive investment and accelerate development of hydrogen projects in Queensland.
Round 2 grant applications are now open
Applications close 5 pm 2 June 2021.
The fund supports projects consistent with objectives of the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy to increase supply of renewable hydrogen in Queensland. This focus is on:
- attracting investment to developments and infrastructure to produce renewable hydrogen
- increasing production, storage, transport and use of hydrogen (or its derivatives)
- reducing costs across the supply chain for hydrogen deployment and users
- developing domestic and export end-use markets
- demonstrating the benefits, safety and sustainability of the industry, including regional employment and training opportunities
- leveraging private sector investment and third-party funding to accelerate large-scale developments.
The Queensland Government committed $15 million for a first round of funding under the program, resulting in four projects being funded. The department is continuing to work with the project proponents to maximise benefits for Queensland.
In late 2020, the Queensland Government committed a further $10 million for hydrogen industry development activities. The investment is an initiative under the Queensland’s Unite and Recover: Queensland’s Economic Recovery Plan which aims to accelerate economic recovery and create jobs for Queenslanders.
Hydrogen development for planning scheme drafting
Queensland Treasury has prepared guidance for local governments to help ensure local planning schemes are drafted to appropriately support a sustainable hydrogen industry in Queensland.
Local governments play an effective role supporting the growth of the hydrogen industry in Queensland as well as the National Hydrogen Strategy.
Queensland Hydrogen Projects
This interactive map provides information about renewable hydrogen projects in Queensland. A range of other projects are still confidential, and the mapper will be regularly updated as projects become public.
Queensland Hydrogen Investor Toolkit
As part of the strategy, the government committed to ‘Prepare an investor toolkit to assist private sector proponents with information on developing projects in Queensland’. The Queensland Hydrogen Investor Toolkit ( 2.6 MB) has been prepared to assist investors with project planning for hydrogen developments in Queensland. The toolkit includes useful contacts to assist with your project and will be regularly updated as new information is gathered from practical experience with facilitating renewable hydrogen projects in Queensland.
Contact us by email email@example.com
- On 22 November 2019, the COAG Energy Council released Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy
- On 24 September 2019, Geoscience Australia released the report Prospective hydrogen production regions of Australia
- National Hydrogen Roadmap - CSIRO (August 2018)
- Hydrogen for Australia's Future ( 1.1 MB) - COAG Energy Council briefing paper prepared by the Hydrogen Strategy Group (August 2018)
- Opportunities for Australia from Hydrogen Exports ( 3.6 MB) - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) ACIL Allen consulting (August 2018)
Last updated: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2021