Hydrogen industry development
Hydrogen is a clean, renewable fuel that can be used in transport, power supply and a range of industrial processes. It’s already key for a range of industries that provide vital inputs into a range of manufacturing processes and our mining and agricultural sectors.
Hydrogen can be produced from a variety of sources including renewables such as solar, wind and biomass.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy
We’re supporting the development of a sustainable hydrogen industry in Queensland. To help do this, we’ve released the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024 ( 3.4 MB).
The strategy focuses on:
- supporting innovation
- facilitating private sector investment
- ensuring an effective policy framework
- building community awareness and confidence
- facilitating skills development for new technology.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Development Fund
As part of the strategy, we established the Hydrogen Industry Development Fund to drive investment and accelerate hydrogen projects in Queensland.
By helping to fast-track hydrogen projects, the fund will create more jobs in more industries and boost regional economies.
Hydrogen development for planning scheme drafting
Guidance for local governments ( 2.5 MB) to help ensure local planning schemes are drafted to appropriately support a sustainable hydrogen industry in Queensland have been prepared.
Local governments will play an important role in supporting the growth of the hydrogen industry in Queensland as well as the National Hydrogen Strategy.
Queensland Hydrogen Projects
This interactive map provides information about renewable hydrogen projects in Queensland. A range of other projects are still confidential, and the mapper will be regularly updated as projects become public.
Queensland Hydrogen Investor Toolkit
As part of the strategy, the government committed to ‘Prepare an investor toolkit to assist private sector proponents with information on developing projects in Queensland’. The Queensland Hydrogen Investor Toolkit ( 2.6 MB) has been prepared to assist investors with project planning for hydrogen developments in Queensland. The toolkit includes useful contacts to assist with your project and will be regularly updated as new information is gathered from practical experience with facilitating renewable hydrogen projects in Queensland.
Gladstone and Townsville Hydrogen Opportunities Study
As part of strategic planning to facilitate the development of the renewable hydrogen industry in Queensland, the Gladstone and Townsville Hydrogen Opportunities study was commissioned in late 2019. The study provides information on land, infrastructure and services requirements for large-scale facilities for the production of hydrogen and export as liquefied hydrogen, ammonia or methylcyclohexane.
The objective of the study was to provide information to assist with integrated land use and ports planning and infrastructure and services corridor planning including the potential for common user infrastructure.
Information through this process, particularly the conceptual hydrogen production facility dimensions and infrastructure and services requirements is transferrable to other ports in Queensland.
The locations (Gladstone and Townsville) and the three hydrogen transport types (liquefied hydrogen, ammonia or methylcyclohexane) were selected based on the known focus of private sector investment at the time the report was commissioned.
The overall report comprises three parts:
- Part 1: Literature review and preparation of conceptual hydrogen facility
- Part 2: Market assessment, stakeholder engagement and refinement of conceptual hydrogen facility
- Part 3: Multi-criteria assessment for the ports (land suitability assessment)
Hydrogen industry capability mapping
On 26 May 2021, National Energy Resources Australia (NERA) announced the launch of the Australian H2 Capability Mapping Platform. Developed by Toowoomba-based Strategenics, this will enable businesses to connect directly to enhance visibility of manufacturing opportunities and assist with supply chain development. Get further information or register your capability.
Hydrogen release simulation modelling
Norwegian based safety and risk specialists Gexcon were commissioned to do preliminary simulation modelling of large-scale releases of hydrogen from pipelines and tanks. The technical report provides preliminary information on a range of release scenarios and will be used to assist strategic planning for future growth of the hydrogen industry and to assist with detailed safety and risk assessments. The technical report and presentation is available by request from email@example.com.
- On 20 July 2022 the Queensland Government released the 2022-2032 Queensland Hydrogen Industry Workforce Development Roadmap
- On 26 May 2021 the Clean Energy Finance Corporation released the Australian Hydrogen Market Study
- On 22 November 2019, the COAG Energy Council released Australia’s National Hydrogen Strategy
- On 24 September 2019, Geoscience Australia released the report Prospective hydrogen production regions of Australia
- National Hydrogen Roadmap - CSIRO (August 2018)
- Hydrogen for Australia's Future ( 1.1 MB) - COAG Energy Council briefing paper prepared by the Hydrogen Strategy Group (August 2018)
- Opportunities for Australia from Hydrogen Exports ( 3.6 MB) - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) ACIL Allen consulting (August 2018)
Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 26 Jul 2022