Queensland Superyacht Strategy
Queensland’s beautiful coastline and world-class marine environments are the envy of the world, and among our state’s leading tourism attractions. These advantages, along with our skilled workforce and excellent marine infrastructure, make us a prime location for superyacht activity.
We aim to grow Queensland’s share of the Australian superyacht sector to 90% by 2028.
- Successfully transitioned the position of Maritime Employment, Skills and Training Officer to industry. MESTO has held 400 business engagements, met with 76 schools and seen 231 students enrolled in government-funded programs and an additional 87 school-based apprentices.
- Supported the International Business Lounge at the 2023 Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show, hosting more than 120 companies
- Invested $28 million to support upgrades to the Cairns Marine Precinct
- $150 million allocated to support development of a Common User Facility as part of the expanded Cairns Marine Precinct
- Opened the $2.87 million 162-metre superyacht berth at the Southport Yacht Club
- Released the Queensland Defence, Maritime, Aerospace and Space Industry Skills Plan
The Queensland Superyacht Strategy ( 15.3 MB) sets out our support for growing this high-value industry under five priority action areas:
- Supportive policy environment
- Infrastructure for growth
- Promoting Queensland as a global superyacht destination
- Strengthening supply chains
- Promoting superyacht visits for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The Superyacht Strategy has been extended by five years (the first edition was from 2018-2023) with the addition of the fifth priority noted above.
The strategy envisions that by 2028, Queensland share of the Australian superyacht sector will have grown to 90% and Queensland will be world recognised as a major superyacht hub in the Asia-Pacific region . This growth is expected to create thousands of new highly skilled jobs across the state and contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to our state’s economy.
We’re committed to fostering emerging and priority industry sectors with global growth potential. Sectors like the superyacht industry help to diversify our state’s economy and create the knowledge-based jobs of the future. Find out about Queensland’s other priority industry sectors.
Interested in more superyacht news? Subscribe to our quarterly superyacht newsletter to hear the latest info!
Last updated: 22 Jun 2023