Skip to content

About compulsory land acquisition

The Coordinator-General facilitates many of the large-scale infrastructure projects that underpin Queensland's economic development.

Sometimes, the Coordinator-General needs to compulsorily acquire, or resume, the land on which these projects are to be built.

Land acquisition process

The main steps of the compulsory land acquisition process are as follows:

1. Notice of Intention to Resume
2. Objections to land acquisition
3. Application to acquire land
4. Resumption notice
5. Compensation

View the compulsory land acquisition process in more detail.

Throughout the process, representatives of the Coordinator-General are available to assist affected landowners.

Why is land resumed?

The Coordinator-General can compulsorily acquire land for:

What land can be resumed?

The Coordinator-General can resume land with any type of tenure, including freehold. The Coordinator-General can resume:

  • all of a property
  • part of a property
  • an easement over a property
  • native title rights and interests
  • resource interests.

Who is affected?

Parties with an interest in land can include:

  • landowner
  • easement holder
  • leaseholder
  • mortgagee
  • native title holder
  • resource interest holder.

How is land resumed?

The Coordinator-General can compulsorily acquire land:

With agreement

The Coordinator-General's preference is to negotiate with the landowner to compulsorily acquire his or her land by agreement.

An agreement can be struck before or after a Notice of Intention to Resume has been issued to the landowner.

If the landowner agrees to the acquisition, the amount of compensation can be finalised at a later date. However, if compensation is also agreed to, this will be included in the agreement.

Without agreement

If the landowner does not agree to the compulsory acquisition of their land, the statutory land acquisition process will run its course.

Please note: Not agreeing to the resumption of your land is different to you formally objecting to its resumption.

Dealing with resumed land

The Coordinator-General may deal with resumed land in a number of ways.

Relevant legislation

Sections 82 and 125 of the State Development and Public Works Organisation Act 1971 give the Coordinator-General the power to compulsorily acquire and deal with land, when necessary.

The process for compulsory land acquisitions is set out in the Acquisition of Land Act 1967.

Open market

In addition to resuming land, the Coordinator-General can purchase properties that come up for sale on the open market.

The Coordinator-General would normally only do this if there was an identified project, need or purpose.

More information

For more information, contact the department's

Last updated: Tuesday, Dec 10, 2019