Skip to content

Right to information and information privacy

We collect and create information as part of doing the work of government.

The Queensland Government is committed to making information government available, unless, on balance, it is not in the public’s interest to provide that information. This commitment is reflected in the Right to Information Act 2009 (RTI Act) and the Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP Act).

These acts aim to make more information available, provide equal access to information across all sectors of the community, and provide appropriate protection for individuals' privacy. It is our preference to make information available, wherever possible and that formal applications under these acts would be a last resort.

Learn more about RTI and IP within the Queensland Government.

Access information

Our website makes it easy to access information about the department, our services, finances, policies, registers and lists, as well as information released through Right to Information (RTI) requests

Before submitting a formal Right to Information (RTI) or Information Privacy (IP) application, you should check to see if the information is already available through our:

You can also check with other areas of the department that might have what you are looking for or contact us and we can help determine if the information is accessible.

Request information

Informal requests

We can often release non-personal information that is not sensitive or confidential, or your own personal information, without needing a formal RTI or IP application. This is called an ‘administrative release’. Learn more about our Administrative Release Policy.

Prior to lodging a request you may wish to contact our Right to Information team on (07) 3452 6949 or email to discuss the type of information you are requesting and whether it can be released administratively.

Formal requests

Where information isn’t already available or able to be released under our Administrative Release Policy, you can apply to access documents through a formal application under the RTI Act or Information Privacy Act 2009 (the IP Act) (whichever is applicable).

You can also apply under the IP Act to amend documents containing your personal information that you believe is inaccurate, misleading, out of date or incomplete.

Find out how to make an application under the RTI or IP Act.

Last updated: 09 Nov 2021