Strengthening Wide Bay Burnett
Recognised as the gateway to the Southern Great Barrier Reef and based around the major centres of Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Gympie, Maryborough, Kingaroy and Gayndah, the region possesses significant natural resources including the World Heritage-listed Fraser Island and the RAMSAR-listed Great Sandy Strait wetland. Two-thirds of the state's softwood plantation resources are found in the Wide Bay Burnett's timber and forestry industry, while sugar, fruit, vegetables, nuts and beef are also major commodities.
We have two regional offices within the greater Wide Bay Burnett area:
- Bundaberg Burnett: servicing the council areas of Bundaberg, North Burnett and South Burnett Regional Councils and the Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council.
- Fraser Coast and Gympie: servicing the council areas of Fraser Coast and Gympie Regional Councils.
These regional offices are part of the network of 11 regional offices across Queensland supporting businesses to mature, grow and invest.
Support is facilitated via via one-on-one interactions, information, presentations and workshops (both online and face-to-face).
A number of pre-recorded sessions are also available on how to promote your businesses’ products and services to others.
- largest region by population outside of South East Queensland
- region accounts for approximately 10 per cent of Queensland’s agricultural production
- abundant fertile agricultural land, mineral wealth and natural resources
- gateway to the Southern Great Barrier Reef
- two-thirds of states’ softwood plantation resources found in timber and forestry sector
- natural resources like World Heritage-listed Fraser Island and RAMSAR-listed Great Sandy Strait
- State Development Area and Port of Bundaberg
- two university campuses
- fisheries/ aquaculture
- food and agriculture
- industrial precincts
- transport equipment manufacturing
- food and beverage products
- primary metal and metal production
- fabricated metal production
- machinery and equipment
- rail manufacturing
- health and social services
- beef processing
- renewable energy
- development of the Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan
- supporting Train Manufacturing and associated supply chain
- facilitation to support the growth of food and beverage manufacturing
- Wide Bay Burnett minerals region activation
- Port of Bundaberg and State Development Area
Last updated: 30 Jun 2022