Rural and Remote Councils Compact and Committee
Rural and Remote Councils Compact
At the 2020 State election, the Queensland Government committed to finalising a Rural and Remote Councils Compact to support the Queensland Government and smaller councils working together to address the challenges facing rural and remote communities.
The Compact, was signed by the Deputy Premier and Mark Jamieson, President of the Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ) on 25 June 2021.
The Compact promotes enhanced engagement with rural and remote councils to ensure the government’s legislation, policies and programs take account of the unique circumstances of their communities.
Rural and Remote Councils
There are 45 rural and remote councils identified by the LGAQ which are captured by the Compact.
- Balonne Shire Council
- Banana Shire Council
- Barcaldine Regional Council
- Barcoo Shire Council
- Blackall-Tambo Regional Council
- Boulia Shire Council
- Bulloo Shire Council
- Burdekin Shire Council
- Burke Shire Council
- Carpentaria Shire Council
- Cassowary Coast Regional Council
- Central Highlands Regional Council
- Charters Towers Regional Council
- Cloncurry Shire Council
- Cook Shire Council
- Croydon Shire Council
- Diamantina Shire Council
- Douglas Shire Council
- Etheridge Shire Council
- Flinders Shire Council
- Gladstone Regional Council
- Goondiwindi Regional Council
- Gympie Regional Council
- Hinchinbrook Shire Council
- Isaac Regional Council
- Livingstone Shire Council
- Lockyer Valley Regional Council
- Longreach Regional Council
- Maranoa Regional Council
- Mareeba Shire Council
- McKinlay Shire Council
- Mount Isa City Council
- Murweh Shire Council
- North Burnett Regional Council
- Paroo Shire Council
- Quilpie Shire Council
- Richmond Shire Council
- Scenic Rim Regional Council
- Somerset Regional Council
- South Burnett Regional Council
- Southern Downs Regional Council
- Tablelands Regional Council
- Western Downs Regional Council
- Whitsunday Regional Council
- Winton Shire Council
Rural and Remote Councils Policy and Legislation Committee
A key feature of the Compact is the Rural and Remote Councils Policy and Legislation Committee, which brings together senior representatives of Government, the LGAQ and nominated mayors and councillors representing councils.
This Committee meets quarterly and provides a regular forum to develop solutions to promote the liveability and long-term sustainability of communities.
Under the Compact there is a requirement for the Committee to develop an annual update on outcomes of the Committee’s work for Government’s consideration and publication.
- Read the Annual Update 2021-2022.
For more information about the Compact or the Committee, please contact the Committee Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 25 Jan 2023