The Galilee Basin SDA and its associated development scheme:
- protects the geographic area where new rail infrastructure could be located
- controls development in an efficient way that considers existing industry and surrounding development
- provides proponents seeking to export coal from the Galilee Basin with potential access to rail infrastructure
- provides guidance and development certainty to industry
- minimises impacts on landholders and other stakeholders through the development of multi-user common rail corridors
- ensures development recognises and manages impacts to social, cultural and environmental values.