||Proposal to increase the storage capacity of the existing Burdekin Falls Dam by raising the dam by at least 2 metres (m) and possibly up to 6 m.
||The project is located on the Burdekin River approximately 160 kilometres upstream from the river’s mouth and approximately 210 kilometres south of Townsville. Map
- Charters Towers Regional Council
- Whitsunday Regional Council
||Estimated between $358 million and $665 million, depending on the final height of the dam raising
- raising the dam spillway by at least 2 m and possibly up to 6 m
- raising the associated abutments and saddle dams
- adjustments to apron and splitter piers
- access road realignments and upgrades.
|Construction start date
- 150 full time equivalent (construction)
* Project information supplied by proponent and subject to change.
Environmental impact statement (EIS) process
||Draft terms of reference for EIS being prepared.
|28 August 2020
||Commonwealth Minister for the Environment decided that the project is a ‘controlled action'.
|29 July 2020
||Gazettal ( 247 KB) of ‘Coordinated project’ declaration.
|11 June 2020
||Application, including initial advice statement ( 8.9 MB), submitted.
Read more about the EIS process.