The Queensland Government is committed to phasing out sand mining on North Stradbroke Island by 2019 and expanding the island's existing industries to ensure a strong, sustainable economy for all who live there.
To deliver this commitment, the Queensland Government has developed the North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy with initiatives which aim to:
- diversify and expand the current tourism industry
- expand education and training opportunities
- stimulate local business development and growth.
The Queensland Government released the draft North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy for public consultation in December 2015. During the consultation period between December 2015 and February 2016, a large number of individuals and organisations made written submissions or provided feedback at on-island listening posts or stakeholder meetings. Feedback indicated a strong desire to contribute to the growth of a more sustainable and diverse North Stradbroke Island economy.
The final North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy was released by the Queensland Government on 1 September 2016.
The Queensland Government in partnership with the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation, Redland City Council and Straddie Chamber of Commerce will commence delivery of the suite of initiatives identified in the strategy immediately.
The Queensland Government has allocated $20 million to drive this strategy and facilitate stakeholder co-investment to deliver a sustainable economy. The strategy is further supported by an additional $3.87 million in-kind Queensland Government contribution for identified actions and $5 million to help mine workers pursue new employment opportunities.
For more information about the North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy:
- read the North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy ( 1.9 MB)
- see the fact sheet ( 166 KB)
- read the frequently asked questions below
- phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Write: North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Office, PO Box 178, Dunwich Q 4183
For more information about the North Stradbroke Island Sand Mining Workers Assistance Scheme:
- read more about the North Stradbroke Island Sand Mining Workers Assistance Scheme
- phone: 0478 405 423