The Queensland Government is committed to phasing out sand mining on North Stradbroke Island – also known as Minjerribah to the Traditional Owners the Quandamooka people – by 2019 and expanding the island's existing industries to ensure a strong, sustainable economy for all who live there.
To deliver this commitment, the Queensland Government has developed the North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy. This strategy aims to:
- diversify and expand the current tourism industry
- expand education and training opportunities
- stimulate local business development and growth.
The draft North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy was released for public consultation in December 2015. Consultation was undertaken between December 2015 and February 2016, with feedback received from a large number of individuals and organisations. This indicated a strong desire that the strategy contribute to the growth of a more sustainable and diverse North Stradbroke Island economy.
The final North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy ( 1.9 MB) was released on 1 September 2016.
The Queensland Government is delivering the suite of 23 initiatives identified in the strategy in partnership with the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation, Redland City Council and Straddie Chamber of Commerce.
Twenty million dollars has been allocated by the Queensland Government to drive the strategy and facilitate stakeholder co-investment delivering a sustainable island economy with an additional $3.87 million in-kind contribution also given for identified actions and $5 million to help mine workers pursue new employment opportunities.
North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy
Check out the fact sheet ( 166 KB) or read more about the:
- 23 NSI projects
- North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy ( 1.9 MB)
- North Stradbroke Island regional profile ( 1.6 MB)
Or contact us via:
- phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- post: North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Office, PO Box 178, Dunwich Q 4183
North Stradbroke Island Sand Mining Workers Assistance Scheme
- read more about the North Stradbroke Island Sand Mining Workers Assistance Scheme
- phone: 0478 405 423