This program provides North Stradbroke Island business operators with access to training and development. The access will help operators adjust to local economy changes and capitalise on market opportunities.
Island businesses are eligible to access a skills and mentoring program to support business planning, performance and productivity. The three-year initiative aims to help businesses grow by fostering development of new skills and networks generating new opportunities. Enhancing business growth will help contribute to a strong and sustainable local economy, generate employment and opportunities for investment.
Seventeen businesses attended a series of workshops delivered in early 2018 as part of the program which covered a range of topics including:
- business planning
- marketing planning
- website strategies
- social media
- email marketing
- traffic generation.
Workshop feedback reflected value in helping attendees with on business priorities, legal requirements and business planning.
"The website and online marketing workshops have given me skills so I can now do a lot of marketing myself and understand where best to spend my marketing money." - Julie Elliott, owner Nourish Naturally
Island businesses are encouraged to contact the Straddie Chamber of Commerce to discuss training needs. This will inform the selection of future training topics and options.
Straddie Chamber of Commerce
- Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
- Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation
- Redland City Council
- Tourism and Events Queensland
- Department of Innovation, Tourism Industry Development and the Commonwealth Games
- Department of Employment, Small Business and Training
- Other relevant Queensland Government agencies
Expected economic benefits
- Develop business operator skills, capacity and capabilities.
- Improve business operator planning, performance and productivity.
- Expand, grow and/or improve island businesses.
- Create a strong and sustainable island economy.
Expected social benefits
- Expand business networks and connect people.
- Create new employment opportunities that in turn help improve the lives of residents.
Expected cultural and environmental benefits
- Provide new ideas and innovative solutions that allow businesses to sustainably capitalise on the island’s environmental and cultural strengths.
Project achievements to date
- Meetings held with project partners and key stakeholders.
- Survey of island businesses in 2017 to understand training and development needs.
- Action plan developed prioritising 2018 business development training needs.
- Training providers procured.
- Attendance by seven businesses to the Queensland Government’s Mentoring for Growth and Mentor Chats program in (March) 2018..
- Delivery of 18 workshops attended by representatives from 17 NSI businesses in 2018 as part of the first series of business training and support activities..
Project next steps
- Plan future training incorporated feedback from series one workshops in program management.
- Surveying to determine current training and development requirements and inform development of a second workshop series.
- Deliver a second series of training and development.