Declared in 2008, the 15,000-hectare Bromelton State Development Area (SDA) is located about six kilometres west of the Beaudesert township.
It provides for the growing demand for land for industrial development in South East Queensland with access to the national standard-gauge rail network.
It provides industries with access to intrastate and interstate markets, via the Sydney - Brisbane rail corridor.
About 1800 hectares of the Bromelton SDA has been earmarked for industrial development.
Industries considered suitable for the Bromelton SDA include:
- large-lot industrial uses requiring direct access to the national standard-gauge rail network
- freight and logistics operations (major intermodal freight terminal)
- medium- and large-scale manufacturing and warehousing activities with road and/or rail requirements
- industry support services, freight and logistics/transport servicing depots
- high-impact and difficult-to-locate industries that require separation from non-industrial uses due to the potential for off-site impacts.
- Regulation map ( 1.89 MB) - shows the boundary of the declared Bromelton SDA.
Planning and development in the Bromelton SDA is controlled by a development scheme.
The development scheme was approved by the Governor in Council in November 2012.
Public consultation policy
The development scheme for the Bromelton SDA is supported by a Public consultation policy ( 98 KB) that provides information on matters the Coordinator-General may consider when determining whether public consultation of an SDA application is required.
Applications and requests
There are a number of applications and requests relating to development within the Bromelton SDA that require approval by the Coordinator-General.
SDA applications for a material change of use in the Bromelton SDA are subject to one of two assessment processes, depending on the nature of the proposed use.
Application and request forms
- Request for pre-lodgement consideration ( 494 KB)
- SDA application: Material change of use within State development areas ( 508 KB)
- SDA application: Material change of use under a minor assessment process within the Bromelton and Townsville State Development Areas ( 501 KB)
In November 2012 the Scenic Rim Regional Council amended the Beaudesert Shire Planning Scheme 2007 and adopted the Bromelton Structure Plan.
The structure plan outlines the broad environmental considerations, land use, infrastructure requirements and development intent of the Bromelton Regional Development Area - as identified in the South East Queensland Regional Plan.
At this stage, there are no plans for the Coordinator-General to acquire land within the Bromelton SDA for industrial purposes.
However, there are a number of large, privately owned landholdings earmarked for development for industrial uses in the longer term.
Industries already established in the Bromelton SDA include:
- Gelita gelatine factory
- A.J. Bush and Son's Rendering Plant.